Pages

Friday 15 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey- week 1 day 1

Day 1- Arriving in New Zealand

It is widely believed that the first people to arrive in New Zealand came from Polynesia. Most historians believe that they landed in New Zealand over 700 years ago. Although they were originally from many different countries, these settlers learned to live together and, eventually, formed their own distinct culture known as ‘Māori.’  Māori have their own language, traditions, and culture.

Activity 1: The first settlers  

Follow this link to read a short story about a famous man in Māori mythology – Maui. On your blog, post three facts that you learned about this interesting man. What other stories have you heard about Maui?



  1. People should always let others have a turn because they never know that the other person's one might be better than there's.
  2. Believe in yourself and just say your prayers.
  3. You don't need to worry about what other people saying about you.

This is the first Maui story I have heard.


Activity 2: Setting sail

The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been really brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a ‘waka’ to reach New Zealand

Imagine that you were on board one of the wakas. On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt really nervous.


Dear, Asinate
Today I voyaged to New Zealand, I felt nervous because I have never voyaged before I was really scared, but then I was getting used to it and in the end, I felt proud of myself.

Bonus Activity: Waka Ama

To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races.

Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?

I would like to be on a Waka Ama race because it would help me get over my fears of being in the water and also help me get fitter.

7 comments:

  1. Hi there Angelina,

    Those are some really interesting messages you have taken from the story. I particularly like the first one where you speak about allowing others to take turns because you never know if someone will be better than you. It's a good idea because then you might learn a new way of doing something. One fact I really enjoyed from the story was how the South Island was the Waka and the North Island was the fish that Maui caught. Did you find it interesting how the mountains in New Zealand were formed?

    http://eng.mataurangamaori.tki.org.nz/Support-materials/Te-Reo-Maori/Maori-Myths-Legends-and-Contemporary-Stories/How-Maui-slowed-the-sun

    This is another story about how Maui slowed the sun - one of my favourites.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey again,

    That's a great letter you have written. It was clever how you wrote about the different feelings the people might feel throughout the journey. At the start I would be very nervous - especially not knowing where you were going! I would be worried about storms and big waves. I don't think they wore life jackets back then. What do you think they would have done when they first arrived in New Zealand?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Angelina, I'm back!

    That's a great point! You would get very strong from all that hard work! I would find it difficult working together with all those people in such a squashed boat. Are you a good swimmer? What would you do if you fell out of the boat? I have some frightening memories of falling out of canoes when I was younger and struggling to get back in. Have you tried any other water sports?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angelina,

    I am a year 7 student from st Pius x school. I really enjoyed reading your post and great job posting and completing all the activities. I look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future.

    Katelyn : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings Angelina,

    My name is Aletheia and I am a year 7 student from Tamaki Primary School and to be honest I really think you have did a great job with your Summer Learning Journey.I really enjoy reading your 3 interesting facts about Maui Plus I was really surprised when you said that "This is the first Maui story I have heard".Well I hope you learnt a lot from Maui because how there are lots of stories starring him.I have seen your letter to Asinate and felt like you did a great job but one thing that I think you need to work on is writing more but I think you have did great with the information you wrote.Great Job Angelina plus I am part of my Te Taiao O Tamaki Quad blogging buddie.

    Great Job from Aletheia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Angelina
    My name is Vedel and I go to Glen Innes School. What an awesome job you have done.... Your letter is written very well and explain good as well.. What was your favourite activity and why???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Angelina
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    You did a fantastic job on completing this task. This was so well written. Did yo find this task difficult?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.